It is 150 years since the first church was built on this site. That building was destroyed by fire in 1921, and there are some photos of the aftermath of the fire on the Stocksbridge and District History Society website at www.stocksbridgehs.co.uk.
The church was rebuilt almost as before and re-opened in 1923. Since then it has been known as an Independent Congregational Chapel, and subsequently became part of the United Reformed Church.
More details about the history of Congregationalism and our church is being prepared and will appear here soon.